Multiple Questions For Support

Dear support, thanks for your continued help.

My queries concern the following survey IDs 4539 and 4538. They are the same except for different groups and therefore 4538 has a few items less. We made two projects with separate surveys to keep our two groups separate (otherwise there would be one registration code). We did this also because we wanted to change the name of the project (which is displayed in the informed consent), but could not (so we made a new project).

Notification/push notification
We pretested the surveys in the new app, but we do not get any notification that prompts us to open the app. We have assigned notification rights to the app (they were there from the start and seem correct).

We were wondering whether this has something to do with the new app?

New app/iOS
When pretesting the iOS version, we found that the informed consent was not scrollable (we searched for the usually hidden scroll bar but didn’t see it).

Filling out an item once during the ten days
There are two items that participants only need to fill out once - assuming that we will have data from each participant in identifiable. I was wondering whether I could make the items ‘persistent’ but when filling out the survey again, they show up again (so persistence seems to be only relevant for one survey/within one survey). Is there a way to have participants only fill out these identifier items when they fill out their first survey, but not afterwards?

Starting point
In Survey 4538, I am unable to edit the starting point of the project (to October 1st). Please see the screenshot below:

Thank you very much for your help!

We did this also because we wanted to change the name of the project (which is displayed in the informed consent), but could not (so we made a new project).

The name of the study is being used by the app in the Consent page. You can change it by simply going to the Design -> Basics section of your Researcher dashboard, press Edit from the top right corner, then modify the name on the top left corner, and then press Save.

We were wondering whether this has something to do with the new app?

There was a bug in the new app that impacted scheduling and prompting the notifications. We fixed the bug this morning, and will be releasing a new app by this afternoon. That should resolve the issue.

When pretesting the iOS version, we found that the informed consent was not scrollable (we searched for the usually hidden scroll bar but didn’t see it).

I looked into this and there was an issue on our backend that caused this glitch. We resolved the issue and now you should be able to use the scrolling just fine. Can you please try again and let me know if the problem persist?

Filling out an item once during the ten days

There are two ways you can achieve this:

1. You can put this question in a separate survey, and schedule that survey only once.
  2. You can set a criteria on the page for this question, such that this criteria is True if the participant has not answered this survey before, and otherwise it’s False. For example, in your survey, you have a VAS question with ID 2 that can have a value between 0 to 6. So you can put a criteria on page one like:

NOT(Q4539_2 >= 0 AND Q4539_2 <= 6)

Assuming they have responded to Q2 of the survey, Q4539_2 >= 0 AND Q4539_2 <= 6 will be true, and the NOT will flip it to false and will cause the page not to be shown.

Don’t forget you would need to mark Q2 as Persisted in the Survey Editor. I have not tested this myself, but it should work. But again, I guess approach #1 (different survey) is simpler if you can go with that.

Starting point

That’s because it’s already past Sept. 25th, and the system doesn’t allow modifying the start date if it’s already past. But you don’t need it anyway. You set the study Participation Period to be 10 days, so participants can join any date and their participation will be 10 days (exactly 240 hours) after the time they joined.

Hope this helps

P.S: It’s best if you can ask each question in a separate topic. It helps a lot when we have to go in depth for a given topic, and also can be easier to search and find answers in the future. Thank you.

Thanks for the replies! Time difference makes this a bit complicated (we are in the Netherlands); will get back to you tomorrow morning my time.If there would be a way that you could solve some of these aspects (also for an increased service fee) we would be very happy with that.
Best,
Michael

I appreciate your patience @mbender.edu with our delay in response. We are in Eastern time zone so we start our work a bit later than the Dutch colleagues, also today has been particularly busy with the work we had to do on the bug reports we received about the new app.

I believe all issues you raised in your first post should be resolved now. If not, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help with it.

Thanks a lot, we have now set up everything and it seems to work. We are waiting for one administrative aspect to be resolved on our side, but will send out the invitations Monday the 30th, so that people can start on the 1st of October.

One small aspect that we found is that participants when seeing a slider first need to move the slider before being able to then select the mid-point of the slider. Is there a way around that?
We now specify that this is the case so that participants are not confused, but maybe there is a better option.

Glad to hear that things are sorted out. Regarding the visual analog scale, we are working to improve it. In fact, we recently started testing the new version with another study in Ethica, which works like this:

This way, participants tap to start and then move the slider. We should have this rolled out pretty soon hopefully.

Thanks for the feedback though

Good to hear that, thanks! I guess this will not yet be rolled out next week, right?
Best,
Michael

We are planning to add this alongside a set of new features to our surveys soon, but it will not be part of our next release. Please stay tuned for further updates.
Bests