Enabling questions

Dear all,
I am about to set up a survey with an item in which we prompt people to clarify whether they had contact with group a/b/c.
The enabling questions functions allows us to then only ask follow up questions (e.g. whether contact was positive with group a/b/c) in case people indicated that they had contact with one (or more) of the three groups.
The catch is, however, that the items are then immediately displayed on the same page. We are worried that this may lead to participants skipping items (because they then need to scroll down for the third item, for example).
I have not found in the help function how to spread this across different pages, it would be ideal if I could have the indication whether participants had contact with group a/b/c on one page, and then the nature of the contact (in case they had it) on the next page.

I hope this is clear enough,
thanks in advance!
-Michael

Hi Micheal,

Welcome to the forum. I agree the best way is to put each question in a separate page. Then you can use conditional expressions to branch between them. So assume that your survey ID is 1000, and in that survey, you have a single choice question like this:

Question 1: Which group you have been in contact with?

1. A
  2. B
  3. C

Now you want to ask a set of questions if they answered A, another set if they answered B, and a third set if they answered C. You put each of these questions in their own page. Then you add a criteria to each page to indicate if that page should be shown when the user chose answer 1 of question 1 (q1000_1 == 1), or answer 2 of question 1 (q1000_1 == 2), or answer 3 of question 1 (q1000_1 == 3).

For example, assume the 2nd page is supposed to be only shown if user chose group A (answer 1), 3rd page is only supposed to be shown if the user chose group B (answer 2), and the 4th page is supposed to be only shown if the user chose group C (answer 3). In that case:

• Page 1 will not have any criteria, as we want it to be shown always
  • Page 2 will have a criteria set to: q1000_1 == 1 which means “only show this page if user chose answer 1 for question 1 of the survey 1000”.
  • Page 3 will have a criteria set to: q1000_1 == 2 which means “only show this page if user chose answer 2 for question 1 of the survey 1000”.
  • Page 4 will have a criteria set to: q1000_1 == 3 which means “only show this page if user chose answer 3 for question 1 of the survey 1000”.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the swift reply!
I have looked into the criteria option, but the problem then is that I do not get combinations: So if people would tick multiple groups they were in contact with, it would violate the criterion above, because it is only about displaying one item per criterion. Put differently, they can only have contact with one group and then evaluate the valence of the contact.
What I would rather like is then for them to tick A/B, and then be prompted to evaluate the contact (as the next two questions) for A and B.
I hope this is clearer, thanks for your time.
-Michael

So if people would tick multiple groups they were in contact with, it would violate the criterion above, because it is only about displaying one item per criterion

Oh so you mean the first question is a multiple choice (checkbox) question, and participants can pick more than 1 item? In that case, you still can use the solution I mentioned above, but then each item will be evaluated regardless of the others. For example q1000_1 == 1 will check whether user picked group A or not, regardless of whether they chose group B and/or C as well or not.

I believe that’s what you want, no? If you want a page to be shown only if a certain group is chosen and the others are not, you can modify your criteria like this: q1000_1 == 1 AND q1000_1 != 2 AND q1000_1 == 3 which basically says “show this page if and only if the group A is chosen and group B and C are not chosen”.

Yes, that is what I mean, they can choose all or none of the three groups presented in the first question.

But when I used the criterion then for this, and set it to == 1/2/3, and I entered in the pretest all three groups, it didnt show me anything at all.
Let me rerun that, just to verify.

Just to be clear, the criteria should be q1000_1 == 1 or q1000_1 == 2 or q1000_1 == 3 where 1000 should be replaced by the survey ID, first 1 should be replaced by the ID of the question, and 1, 2, or 3 should be replaced by the appropriate answer ID. If the criteria is invalid, it will be evaluated to False and will not work.

If you want, send me your study ID & survey ID and I check as well.

Thanks, by appropriate answer ID do you mean for instance also the text that is the answer option (e.g., the group name)?

Silly question now (just tried looking that up, but didnt find it): where do I see my survey/study ID in my JSON file or the survey flow?

Thanks again!

If you go to the dashboard and from the left panel, choose Design > Surveys, there you can see the list of surveys in your study. The first column there shows your survey ID. Also, if you click on Design -> Basics, you can see your study ID there. So you don’t need to do anything in the JSON file at all.

For the answer ID, you only need the ID of the answer. The Survey Editor shows it with “AXXX” where XXX is the Id of the answer and is what you should use. For example, in the multiple-choice question below, the answer IDs are 1, 2, and 3, and the question Id is 1.

Thanks! My survey ID is 4510.

I have now edited the criterion for each of the three follow-up questions. I have pasted screenshots of the item:
criteria%20a|690x292

and one example follow-up with the criteria entered on the right side.

At the end, when publishing this, I get the following error message (last screenshot).!
criteria%20c

I am sure I am committing a somewhat obvious mistake - but I cannot see it. We need this to be solved prior to being able to pretest, and we are unfortunately under a bit of time pressure.

Thanks in advance!
-Michael

Hi @mbender.edu

The criteria should’ve been Q4510_38 == 2, instead of q4510_38 == 2 (upper case). I fixed those and could publish the survey.

I suggest you test it by adding a “User Triggered” triggering logic, then joining the study via the app, and going through the survey multiple times to make sure the flow is exactly what you expect. Here you can read the details of how to do so.

Bests,
Mohammad

Excellent! Thanks for the swift reply (I assume it’s still early where you are).
Have a good day!
-Michael

Sorry, me yet again.
I just previewed this - and when I tick all three contact options, it skips the three conditional items afterwards and takes me directly to page 8 (after the three contact valence items). That is also the outcome I had at the beginning.
I am at a loss what to do.
-Michael

I just checked on the phone and it worked as expected (for that, I had to add a “User Triggered” button for this survey. You can remove it anytime).

I guess you are testing on the Preview section and there might be a problem there. But the logic of the survey should be correct now. I suggest testing it on a phone.

Thanks, will do so! Figured the preview would be more likely to work than the actual survey.
Thanks for the screengrab!