Data blocked after completing survey

Hello,

One of our research participants told us that after submitting the survey on the Ethica app she received an error message saying “blocked.” This happened on three occasions last week. Is it possible to recover this data? Because from another thread (here: Blocked (triggered) survey issues - #11 by iivandriel) I read a message from moderator Faham that said: “Any lost response if ever uploaded to our servers could be recovered. Even if the session is marked as expired later on.”

I hope this is the case so I can inform the research participant about this and pay her the amount she is owed (daily reimbursement for filling in surveys). Thank you.

Kind regards,
Stephan

Hi @s.c.tap,

May I know the EID of the participant? So, I can check the logs to find out if can we access the data or not.

FYI: Participants can find their ID at the bottom of the setting page and researchers can find that on the dashboard.

Best,
Farbod

Hi Farbod,

Sure thing! Here it is: 67245. I hope the data can still be retrieved. Thank you.

Best,
Stephan

@s.c.tap

I checked the logs and the data for survey 15654 is submitted to the server successfully for these dates (which are marked as blocked):

• 2023-01-31
  • 2023-02-02
  • 2023-02-04

Best,
Farbod

Hi Farbod,

I checked on the website of Ethica, but they are still marked grey (not completed). Will this change eventually? In your post above you talk about that they are marked as “blocked.” What does this mean? Thank you.

Best,
Stephan

@s.c.tap

I checked the activity configuration and take a look at the dashboard and here’s the thing:

Activity 15654 is set to be shown every day from 17:00 to 20:00, and at that moment on Jan 31, the participant had an active session for the same survey (This means the participant didn’t respond to the survey on Jan 30 and its session remained open until Jan 31 since the activity doesn’t have an expiry time). So, when the participant answered the survey, the answer was set for that active session which was Jan 30 and the session for Jan 31 was marked as “Blocked”.

You can find the meaning of each status here: View Responses | Avicenna Learn

Blocked: the survey could not be triggered due to another active session for the same survey for this participant.

I hope my answer was clear.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions, and I’d be happy to help.

Best,
Farbod

Hi Farbod,

Thank you for your explanation. So if I understand correctly the participant did not fill in the right survey, but the survey from the day before because it was still open? In other words, there is no data for the survey on January 31st, but only for January 30th?

I hope I understand this correctly because I am trying to wrap my head around this. We pay participants for every completed survey and she told us she was completing them everyday, but apparently something went wrong (i.e., the survey was open for too long).

Kind regards,
Stephan

@s.c.tap

Yes, there is no data for those three days I mentioned earlier in this thread. You can rely on the dashboard data. Always you can check responses and sessions from the left-side menu.

Best,
Farbod