Limiting combinations of options on multiple choice questions

Hi all,

For my survey, I want to ask some questions about the company people are in. They can select multiple options like “with parents”, “with friends”, “with peers”, but they can also select “alone”. In this case, I would like to make it impossible for a person to select both the “alone” option and other options (that indicate that they are with someone). Is it possible to create this kind of setup in a multiple choice item, where some options cannot be combined?

I don’t think there is a way to do this within one question–perhaps Mohammad or Amin will prove me wrong, though.

I would break it into two questions, perhaps with a short preamble:

The next two questions are about who, if anyone you are spending time with right now:

Q1. Are you alone right now? Y/N [Y skips Q2, OR N enables Q2, depending how you choose to handle the skip]

Q2. Who are you spending time with right now?
[list of possible responses]

FWIW, I have the same question in the EMAs in my cohort study – I put all the options in the same list, including “alone”; when it comes time to clean the data I will adjust responses accordingly. But “alone” is at the top of the list, and from what I’ve seen so far eyeballing the responses, no-one has selected both the “alone” option and other options so far. But your mileage may vary.

1 Like

Hi @e.l.demoor,

As @atdutoit said, it’s not at the moment possible to achieve this with one question. You would need to break it into two questions.

Alright, thank you both! I will take this into account.

Best,
Elisabeth

1 Like